Remote Sensing and GISWorking Group
To share information about, develop resources for, and support networked research related to remote sensing and GIS in the LTAR network.
- To identify remote sensing and GIS technical expertise within the LTAR network, and to serve as a conduit for collaborative partnerships.
- To assist research working groups with identification of available remote sensing and geospatial data products.
- To identify a geospatial data sharing platform for networked research; establish spatial specifications (e.g. projection parameters and accuracy levels).
- To work with other groups to develop best practices for working with and curating network-wide geospatial data, especially for new or emerging technologies (e.g. UAV data).
- Hold regular meetings to share updates.
- Update the survey on remote sensing and GIS expertise to make it relevant to the project plans resulting from the 2018 Annual Meeting.
- A ONE-STOP SHOP for LTAR:
- Make expertise lists available to the wider LTAR community via the LTAR website.
- Create a listing of recommended geospatial datasets including:
- geospatial data collections available across the network and publicly, and
- contact point information
- access tools for remote sensing data (e.g. Github code, etc.)
- Develop a geospatial data sharing platform strategy for LTAR geospatial data, including an image service.
- Work with the IMTF to create a data management plan for UAV data.
- Write a one-page fact sheet for the RS+GIS working group, following the ARS template.
- Lead the development of a collection of 4-6 manuscripts on remote sensing frontiers in LTAR research, for submission to a journal such as Remote Sensing of the Environment.
- Prioritization of LTAR research questions related to RS/GIS.
- Identification of RS/GIS expertise currently present within the LTAR network, as well as sites lacking such expertise.
For the LTAR 2016 Annual Meeting in Archbold, we compiled a list of datasets recommended for inclusion in standard geospatial data holdings of LTAR. These datasets already exist from various public sources. However, they do not all exist in a centralized data archive for LTAR. Work is underway with the Information Management Task Force to specify and develop a centralized working geospatial web service for LTAR, including an image server. Once developed, we may decide to compile base layers for all sites and make them available through a LTAR-focused web service.
|Data type||Title, source and date|
Scale or resolution
|Elevation||NED 10m, NRCS 2014 (based on USGS 2011)||10m|
|Soils||SSURGO (and gSSURGO), NRCS, (current version)||1:24000 (and 10m)|
|Land cover||NLCD, USGS, 2011|
NASS CDL (current version)
|Geology||USGS and State Geologic Surveys||1:500,000|
|Multi-spectral imagery||Landsat ETM+|
|Aerial photography||NAIP imagery mosaics (current version)||1m|
|Socio-economic||Agriculture Census, USDA|
Economic Census, USDoC
List of manuscripts published or under development with LTAR RS and GIS Working Group datasets.
Working Group Name
Remote Sensing and GIS Working Group
Alisa Coffin (GACP), Chandra Holifield Collins (WGEW), Jennifer Carter (NPER)
List will appear here